Continuation of my journal and memories of the Kripalu Yoga Teacher Training. Monday 26th – first full day.
We start at 0630 with morning yoga. A little more vigorous than the gentle sessions I took before the course started. Lovely stretches, releasing my neck from the travelling, work, NYC. Sunlight pouring through the high windows of the Main Hall.
Goals of Teachers:
- Strengthen, inspire, inform personal practice
- Experience the unlimited power of yoga
- Hold space of sacred sanctuary and safety
- Opening the learning process, inquiry, mystery
- Recognise and understanding Self
- Instil, awaken knowledge of the Kripalu toolbag
- To transmit yoga, including the yamas and niyamas
- To become the best teacher I can be
We wrote down why we were here, and then stuck it up on a wall. It stayed there the whole course (almost!). I wrote:
- Find my voice
- Uncover buried feeling, release, heal
- Open and discover – what?
- Learn to relax more fully
- Learn how to share yoga
- Strengthen constitution – body and all systems
- Balance and grounding
- Enjoy four weeks out of the office!
What is Kripalu Yoga?
- “Self-observation with love” – Mr Kripalu
- A non-dogmatic approach that’s difficult to brand
- The Inquiry of Yoga
- Learning how to learn
It’s OK to be nervous, I am supported.
Speak in ‘I’ statements, first person
This is going to be the strangest, newest, exploringest, unusual-situationist month ever. After 24 hours I am just realising what I might have let myself in for. Very good first session with Devarshi this afternoon. Long sequences each side and a very long integrating savasana.
Lots of experimental sessions in small groups and sharing with the mic with the whole group. I haven’t yet, but fully participating in our Full Moon group. Meeting some great people and getting used to the idea of communicating. I feel I need a few words with Devarshi and Mega [the course leaders] to check in with them. This evening… off!
I’ve rarely bee so consistently on edge, and never in such unpredictable circumstances. And yet at the same time, in the same day, experiencing deep relaxation. This evening’s session blew me away. Came to after relaxation convinced everyone had left the room. Full on class. Devarshi is a little mischievous.
An assistant teacher said they’d be a time when we each go on the stage and speak. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck! For once I can’t control this. I want to face it, even to crumble. If not with this group then with who? And I won’t crumble, or I will. Who knows?
Sat in the sun at breakfast and lunch. By supper, Shaun, Nathan and I were spaced out, wondering what we’d gotten into.
Alarm set for 0545.